Well it's about time...

Everyone else has been doing it, so why not me. Long, long ago, I learned that often crazier things happen to me than to other people. Maybe this will help me remember them. Even better, I'll finally have a forum to rant, keeping me from screaming on street corners for a few more days.

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Waterless Urinals Can Save 40,000 Gallons of Water a Year

I recognize that all people will find this as amazing as I did. Well, that is, all people except a certain someone who is sitting right next to me and shall remain unnamed. I just like to pull her chain a little.

The most exciting news of the day is that my digital camera shipped today! I will check it obsessively until it arrives, but that is to be expected. I'm psyched because I've been seeing really crazy stuff (like a man in a gorilla costume chasing a man in a banana costume around). I'm also thinking about selling the last of my toys in boxes on e-Bay. I'll add this to my lengthy "to-do" list, so who knows when this will actually happen. I'm going to guess some time shortly after never.

I've also decided to do a mentoring job at MIT for the month of July. It pays $2,500, and it is a total of 40 hours. I did it once two years ago, and it was less exciting than I'd hoped, but the money is good, and it isn't a terrible amount of work. If people have suggestions for problems accessible to high school students, I'd be much obliged.

USAA has agreed to the charges for my car. That's a relief. I told the car people yesterday to go ahead and start working. I hope that it gets fixed up pretty soon. It's weird to go out onto my porch, check my garden, and then not see my car when I look over at my parking space. Yay for OCD.

My Senate Contact told me yesterday that after 9/11, our much beloved federal government changed how the funding they give to local law enforcement agencies can be allocated: training & equipment are fine, paying people is not. How absurd is this? You can train your cops to use the really high tech toys you buy for them, but you can't pay them for putting themselves on this line to save people's lives. I am not so cool with this.

A little chore for today is to see if my healthcare plan is a "high deductible health plan". If it is, then I am going to set up a Health Savings Account. This would give me a nice $1000 pretax deduction from my wages, and it is money that I'll end up spending anyway. Since I don't itemize deductions, this is pretty much the only way I can get some tax savings for healthcare. It might also help other people in my dept. We'll see how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home