Well it's about time...

Everyone else has been doing it, so why not me. Long, long ago, I learned that often crazier things happen to me than to other people. Maybe this will help me remember them. Even better, I'll finally have a forum to rant, keeping me from screaming on street corners for a few more days.

Monday, January 22, 2007

Dinner Party Time

Last night, my friends from the UVA math department came to my apartment to make dinner. We made a pork loin (with some electronic help from Teena), polenta, and Brussels sprouts. I'm actually a big fan of all three of these (though I might cut back on pork, having seen a show on Discovery about industrial / "inorganic" pig farms), and it was really nice to just hang out and chat while cooking. It was one of the things I really missed from grad school. It was still different, but it was also really nice to do something social like that. An additional plus is that I spent a good bit of time cleaning the apartment. What a great change!

Continuing my theme of doing things I said I would, today I bit the bullet and filled out the application form to volunteer a local hospice. I've wanted to do this for a long time, and while sitting around this afternoon, doing little besides confuse myself royally work-wise, I filled out the two page form. Weirdly, though, they asked for my social security number. I just made one up, using the prefix for railroad workers (700-729). We'll see what they use it for.

In equally exciting news, I have almost all of this years tax forms! Because I put the VAST majority of my fall salary into my 403(b) (choosing to live off of savings et al instead), I should get a HUGE refund from the Fed this year. That'll be nice. Once my last W-2s arrive, I'll get that all squared away. Good times!

That's about it. I'm going to head to the gym (again, trying to get in better shape). I'm thinking about joining a yoga class. While at Stanford, I went with Chris to his yoga class. It was a fantastic work-out, and I realized that I kinda miss doing it. On a "huh" note, there was a guy there who, rather than wearing work-out clothing, just took off his jeans and practiced in his boxer briefs. How curious. I'm also thinking of maybe hiring a trainer for a few sessions. I know, crazy talk, since I acted as a personal trainer for so long at MIT (without payment OR gratitude, I might add). It'd be nice to have some more varied work-outs that I can pick and choose from. Plus I think I've plateaued. I'm definitely still getting stronger. I am just not gaining any definition / size / mass / weight. I can also talk with them about what I eat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home