Well it's about time...

Everyone else has been doing it, so why not me. Long, long ago, I learned that often crazier things happen to me than to other people. Maybe this will help me remember them. Even better, I'll finally have a forum to rant, keeping me from screaming on street corners for a few more days.

Monday, April 25, 2005

Computer Success Story

So today I was able to take care of something I've been wanting to do for a while: fix my Senate contact's laptop. I had determined a few weeks ago that the problem was that the hard drive had, well, died. Dell was unable to provide much support, since the computer was no longer under warranty. What to do? We, my contact & I, discussed it, and it was decided that I should simply replace the hard drive and see what else could be done about the old one later. Again, Dell was unable to provide much help. They sell replacement hard drives, but for about $180 for a 6 GB drive. Outrageous.

As in most instances, the Internet saved me. I found a really great site: shopperwiz.com and they had upgraded drives for a fraction of what Dell was charging. Additionally, their service was excellent. I ordered the new drive on Friday, and it arrived this morning! I was so impressed with how quickly and cheaply they handled things that I e-mailed them to let them know, and they responded with a very sweet reply. I'm now a huge fan of this company.

After the drive arrived, I took out the old one and started the lengthy process of installing Windows and about 400 updates required to make things run smoothly. This was the moment of truth, since there could have been problems on top of the hard drive failure, and I would have been up a creek. Luckily, everything went swimmingly. In fact, this entry is being written on that once dead computer! I am pretty excited, and I know someone else who is too...

Not too much else going on in my life right now. My quondam roommate returns on Thursday. I'm quite excited about this, since I will no longer be coming home to an empty apartment. I also finished a short, but hopefully illustrative, computation a day or so ago, and I'm trying at this point to figure out what it all means. Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home