Well it's about time...

Everyone else has been doing it, so why not me. Long, long ago, I learned that often crazier things happen to me than to other people. Maybe this will help me remember them. Even better, I'll finally have a forum to rant, keeping me from screaming on street corners for a few more days.

Friday, April 22, 2005

Can You Feel a Brand New Day!

It's taken years for me to reach this point. I lead such a quiet and staid life, fraught with little more than the usual peril of boredom and the occasional close encounter of the homeless kind. I hope to eventually have things to say of some substance, but, well, we'll just have to see.

I had Samaritans this morning. It was really nice to be back on the phones again. I had my first shift in almost two months last week, but it was pretty quiet. Today the phone just rang off the hook. I was pretty excited to get to talk to all kinds of people. I was even more excited when I got my mail yesterday and what did I find in it but a card from the Samaritans congratulating me on being a volunteer for 2 years! Man, time sure flies when you're having fun talking with people about their suicidal feelings...

Last night I went to a drag show at MIT: Fierce Forever V. My friend Biana accompanied me, which was nice, since she and I don't really spend that much time together any more. Many of the performances were really good, especially some of the ones by students and faculty. The MIT people also did a few more non-traditional drag routines. One performed to hip-hop a few times (but not to a dance remix thereof). A professor performed to a beautiful aria from an opera which, were I more cultured, I'd immediately have recognized. While I love the outrageous dancing and hardcore dance music, it was quite refreshing to see people doing something new and outre.

That's about it for now. I've got to do some work today. My current project (deciding if the element v_p is an appropriate invariant in the homotopy of the spectrum E_{p(p-1)}) might actually be getting somewhere, but it still has a long way to go. Wish me luck!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely to find your blog, lovely to find myself in your first entry.

This weekend, I met the girl who performs Haywood Wakefield at a street fair in Davis Square. She was selling these crazy ties with all sorts of semi-lewd phrases on them--I think you would have liked them.

Later,

B

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home